onthehooks

crochet adventures with hooks, thread and yarn

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Recycled Sari silk

After reading about all the discussion about recycled sari yarn, and trying to search for the yarn in India with no success, I finally decided to get adventurous and unearthed one of my old printed silk sarees which had disintegrated to a point where I could no longer think of wearing it.
This is the sari before I attacked it with scissors

I cut it up into 1.5" strips...and tried to crochet using different size hooks. I finally settled on a "I" hook as the most comfortable to use with the silk fabric strips.
I followed a very basic pattern, for a doily centre and ended it with scallops formed by 5 dc in st, sk next st, sc in next stitch.
This is the result of my experiments
I was expecting a soft, luxurious product, but the final result is a thick hot-pad. Now whoever heard of silk hotpads! the limit of luxurious living!

I barely used up 20% of my sari..so have a lot of fabric to play with, not to speak of the dozen or more silk saris languishing in a box.

Would love to hear your comments on this experiment..what do you all crochet-savvy people think of the end result? Is it worthwhile to painstakingly cut up the rest of the sari? Seeing the thickness of the final crocheted item, what else can i try to make with this?

9 Comments:

At 12 April, 2006, Blogger MrsFife said...

Silk hotpads?! My heart clenches to even think of cutting up saris...

 
At 12 April, 2006, Blogger Yasmin said...

Thats an amazing experiment! I dont know....I cant even imagine ever using silk hotpads. Somehow the words dont go together. It' s the ultimate in luxury I'd say!

 
At 12 April, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

hmm I don't think silk hotpads would wear well:) I am thinking of funky lacey ponchos with those strips of your sari and leaving a bit of fringe here and there ..on second thoughts it would look staright out of the 70's maybe..or a lacey stole? I too have a few sarees languishing ..maybe just maybe(evil glint in eyes)..

 
At 13 April, 2006, Blogger jaishree said...

swapna..just wait till you have been married for a couple of decades and your sarees start disintegrating ..the saddest part is that the more delicate and expensive the saree the faster is becomes unfit for use

 
At 13 April, 2006, Blogger jaishree said...

vims..you must try this..the hotpads are really thick.. only i am too wary of using it on the dining table..can't bear the thought of dripping sambar etc on it.
I used it for the pooja space to keep the food offered ..i am very pleased with the effect

 
At 13 April, 2006, Blogger jaishree said...

bonnie I love the idea of a throw rug next to the bed..maybe mix and match a few sarees for better colour effect..have to think about this
the basket is also a wonderful idea..maybe a few dried flower?..hmmmm

 
At 16 April, 2006, Blogger Deb said...

A rug would definitely be nice. I'm also thinking about a poncho. Maybe if the strips were cut a little thinner, your finished piece would be less thick? Just an idea :-)

 
At 08 May, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

First thing I thought of was making a rug. That would be beautiful and a wonderful way to reuse the sari. Very nice work so far.

 
At 30 April, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

dear ladies,
i am writing to you from italy. i am an italian eco shoe designer who is looking for recycled saris to use as shoe uppers.

does any of you have any resources to find recycled saris? i am collaborating with another designer to come up with a special style to sell to the public and donate the proceeds to an Eco/ animal protection charity..

if any of you have any tips, please kindly write to me directly at nancy@kailiafootwear.com

thank you so much....God bless!
nancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home